How is the decision made about the type and how much support my child will receive?
- Together, the SENCo and class teacher will discuss which intervention or support your child needs and how many sessions per week are appropriate.
- This will be shared with your child and yourselves to ensure we are working together in the best way to support your child. This is part of our Assess, Plan, Do, Review cycle.
How will my child be included in activities outside the school classroom including school trips?
- All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful and seek advice from other professionals.
- After school clubs - the school will make every effort to accommodate children with special needs, however the staffing levels will not support 1-2-1 care requirements. Each case will be assessed individually and risk assessed to ensure everyone's safety.
- For residential trips, a more flexible approach may be necessary. Overnight arrangements may be changed to allow the child to be brought to the site on a daily basis, by a parent, in order to reduce anxiety.
- A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety will not be compromised. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities which will cover the same curriculum areas will be provided in school.
What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?
- Children have access to one-to-one support from an Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA) if required - http://www.elsanetwork.org/files/ELSA-leaflet-staff.pdf.
- We have close links with our partners in health, for example, the school nurse and paediatric occupational therapist.
- If your child requires personal care, we would work with you and other professionals involved to ensure this is done to the best of our ability.
- We have a successful behaviour policy which ensures all children understand what acceptable behaviour is and this is adhered to.
- We listen to the views of all children and through our school council and roles of responsibility, all children are able to contribute to all parts of school life.